When you have a manual or an electric garage door, it is important that you provide regular maintenance and have it inspected by the professionals when you suspect a more serious problem. Unfortunately, too many homeowners leave the problem until it is too late, causing the door to become stuck open or shut for an extended period of time. The good news is that at Carroll Garage Doors, we provide inspections, repair, and replacement so that your garage door can always remain in the best shape. What’s more is that we will help you understand proper maintenance that you can do on your own.
Whether your garage door is five days old or five years old, regular maintenance will ensure that it works smoothly and that potential problems are caught before they become costly. The following are some DIY maintenance tips that you can try:
- Using a silicone spay, lubricate the tracks of the door.
- Using petroleum jelly, lubricate the rubber door seal so that it will not freeze to the ground.
- Check for missing or loose bolts or other pieces of hardware.
- For electronic doors, disconnect the opener to see if you can lift the door easily. This shows you if the spring tension is in good shape.
Of course, any time you are performing maintenance on your own, you should use safety precautions. Realize that spring tension is a strong thing and could hurt you, which is why you should not touch the springs themselves. Additionally, if there are loose or missing bolts, contact the professionals, rather than trying to replace them yourself.
Calling in the Professionals
Whether you noticed some problems during your own inspection, or you simply want a professional to take a look at the garage door, Carroll Garage Doors offers inspections. Our professionals have years of experience tackling the most difficult problems. Some issues with the garage door that may require one of our technicians include:
- Squeaks and screeching noises that remain, even after lubrication.
- Cables that are frayed or loose.
- The door is stuck in the open or closed position.
- There are any parts that are loose, missing, or damaged.
It is possible that you may not notice any issues with your door, and therefore will assume that you don’t need professional assistance. If your garage door is over six or seven years old, it is a good idea to have it inspected, simply to ensure that it is still in good condition.
Contact Us Today
For more information on DIY maintenance, or to schedule your garage door inspection, contact Carroll Garage Doors today. Simply give us a call at 888.578.2360 and let’s get you started.